What exactly is emergency contraception?
Crisis contraception can avoid maternity after non-safe sex or should your contraceptive method has failed – for instance, a condom has split or perhaps you’ve missed a capsule.
There are 2 kinds:
- The crisis contraceptive product (often called the early morning after product)
- The IUD (intrauterine unit, or coil)
There are 2 types of crisis contraceptive tablet. Levonelle needs to be studied within 72 hours (3 days) of intercourse, and ellaOne has to be studied within 120 hours (five times) of intercourse. Both pills work by preventing or delaying ovulation (launch of an egg). Crisis contraception is best taken at the earliest opportunity to work.
The IUD could be placed to your uterus as much as five times after unsafe sex, or up to five times following the earliest time you might have ovulated. It may stop an egg from being fertilised or implanting in your womb.
Crisis contraception will not force away intimately sent infections (STIs).
Crisis contraception self-help gu Find away more about getting crisis contraception and where you might get it.
At a look: factual statements about crisis contraception
- Both forms of crisis contraception work well at preventing maternity if they’re utilized immediately after non-safe sex. Not as much as 1% of females whom utilize the IUD have a baby, whereas pregnancies following the crisis contraceptive tablet are never as uncommon. It’s believed that ellaOne works better than Levonelle.
- The earlier you are taking Levonelle or ellaOne, the greater effective it will be.
- Levonelle or ellaOne will make you are feeling ill, dizzy or tired, or offer you a frustration, tender breasts or stomach discomfort.
- Levonelle or ellaOne could make your duration earlier in the day or later than usual.
- If you’re sick (vomit) within couple of hours of taking Levonelle, or three hours of using ellaOne, look for medical advice because you will need to take another dose or have an IUD fitted.
- By using the IUD as crisis contraception, it could be kept in as the regular contraceptive technique.
- If you utilize the IUD as a typical way of contraception, it could create your periods much longer, heavier or higher painful.
- You may feel some vexation once the IUD is place in – painkillers will help alleviate this.
- There are not any serious s pill< Continue reading